What are the health benefits of Ginger?
Ginger is an ingredient that is used in every cuisine for its slightly sweet and peppery taste. A lot of Asian savoury dishes are incomplete without this spice. However, did you know that ginger has several health benefits?
Most of the ginger is produced in Asia, with India being the largest producer of ginger and China being the second-largest producer of ginger.
You can also grow ginger at home! Yes, you do not need a huge farm to grow your own ginger. Many grocery stores sell rhizomes, out of which you can grow your own ginger! Say hello to a new plant baby!
Most people have the misconception that ginger is a root, but it is not. Ginger is a rhizome! You might be wondering what the difference between the two is. A rhizome is an underground stem, while roots are part of the plant’s root system.
Here are some of the health benefits of ginger:
1. Ginger is helpful for reducing muscle pain and soreness: Ever felt extremely tired and sore after working out? Ginger might be the answer! Obviously, ginger won’t show immediate results, but it could be helpful for reducing day-to-day progression of muscle pain. This is a result of ginger’s anti-inflammatory properties.
2. Ginger may be effective in lowering blood sugars as well as reducing the risk of heart disease: Ginger may improve HbA1c, which leads to a 10% reduction over a period of 12 weeks.
3. Ginger may be helpful for reducing dysmenorrhea: One of the uses of ginger in traditional medicine is to treat different types of pain, including menstrual pain. In a study, ginger powder was shown to reduce pain as effectively as ibuprofen and mefenamic acid.
4. Ginger may be beneficial in lowering cholesterol levels: In a study conducted on 85 individuals with high cholesterol, over a course of 45 days, consuming 3 grams of ginger powder caused a huge reduction in cholesterol levels. Ginger performs similar functions to the cholesterol-lowering medicine atorvastatin.
5. Gingerol can help prevent and fight infections: Gingerol is the bioactive substance present in fresh ginger, which can help reduce infections. Ginger extract is helpful for reducing the growth of several types of bacteria. It is helpful for working against oral bacteria, thus helping to prevent periodontitis and gingivitis.